Thursday, February 2, 2012

A life of meaning

Today, as I entered my apartment building to have lunch, I saw a man that, despite having never seen him in my life before, I immediately grew to admire. I don’t know his name, his age, or his history; all I know is that he sells avocados. Sure, there are many men who sell avocados and other fruits (yes, avocado is a fruit) in the street, but not many are like this one. This guy, under the blindingly bright sun of noon (and probably starting from the early morning) walked up and down the streets of Santo Domingo, pushing a piece of wood with a wheel, screaming out of the top of his lungs, “AGUACATEEE!” again and again.

He was wearing a big blue, and dirty button down shirt rolled up in the sleeves, worn-out jeans, and crocks so wasted by the hot pavement that his soles touched the ground. He was a very dark man, with no hair, and missing more teeth than one is used to. He was a hard-working man, with a voice so strong that it bounced from tower to tower in the street with an echo, trying to reach the ears of the wealthy people eating lunch, and hopefully craving aguacate, in their expensive apartments.

I watched him from the moment I got off my car to the moment I entered the building… and my eyes teared.

The other day a friend posted on Facebook:  “Life is not about finding meaning, it’s about making meaning.” I wish I could change this man’s situation in a more meaningful way than buying him an avocado or two. But as much as I want to, I alone will never be able to change everyone’s lives. Life gave him lemons, and this man made lemonade and made his life, despite difficult, meaningful. Many of us have much sweeter fruits, yet can’t think of anything to do with them. I suggest we watch, learn, and start making smoothies to share with those who only got lemons. Giving, sharing, supporting can give meaning to our lives, and that of others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment